Tuesday, July 19, 2016

No Sweat!


[His message is actually entitled, "I dont sweat the entire time here!..." but I really have no idea what that means, so I improvised.]

Hola from Guatemala!

I have to apologize in advance because these computers aren't good enough to send pictures, so you will have to wait a little while and then there will be tons of pictures.  

I guess I will start from the beginning because my last email wasn't very long.  On the plane to Guatemala, there were probably around 50 elders and sisters on the plane.  Also, I learned very quickly that planes are very hot and suits are not ideal clothing unless you want to loose 20 pounds.  That plane ride was terrible and they gave us a tiny sandwich on the plane to feed us that was little more than bite size.  So dad, the food was much appreciated [his dad's parting gift].  Across the aisle from me was a tiny, old Guatemalan lady that probably weighed like 80 pounds soaking wet.  She couldn't stand up on her own so I lifted her in and out of her seat probably ten times on that flight at 3 in the morning.  

We got to the airport and luckily both my bags showed up, but not after quite some time, some stress and some quick prayers that it would all show up.  They loaded us all into some big buses and our things into a moving van because there was so much of it.  The city was just as you would suspect, little bikes going all over the place and tons of beat up cars everywhere and pedestrians walking through the middle of the street like no tomorrow.  After the 20 minute ride to the MTC, we got out of the buses and got our things to our rooms.  The area around the MTC is so beautiful it's unbelievable.  We finally got to get out this morning and went to the temple.  It is definitely the most beautiful temple I have ever seen.  It is small but it is breathtaking. 

My companion is Elder Stewart and he is from Bountiful, Utah I think? I don't know. somewhere in Utah because it's all the same really. [Says the California boy at heart.  
Apologies to our Utah friends, relatives and readers... Turns out Elder Stewart is the son of a friend of a friend so I actually know he comes from Perry, Utah] He is awesome and so is the rest of my district.  We are the district everyone wants to be in because we move so fast and seem to be further along in Spanish [!?! didn't see that coming] than everyone else but are also always having a good time.  We have two sisters in our district that are going to El Salvador and then 8 of us elders going to Quetzaltenango.  There are a couple more that are going to our mission but they are in other districts for some reason.  I love it here and I would not want to be in any other district.  

[Missionaries are organized into companionships, companions are organized into districts, districts are organized into zones, zones are organized into missions.  There are leaders at each level--senior companion, district leaders, zone leaders, mission presidents]

As far as food goes there are very good days and some questionable days for sure.  I heard some elders wished they had kept tortilla counts on their mission so I decided I would and I am on 9.  Our zone leader is part of my district and his name is Elder Miller and he is an awesome guy.  He was super well dressed at the airport and none of us knew if he was actually a missionary because he looked too well dressed.  He talks a lot and at first I wasn't a fan but as time went by he probably is now one of my favorite people here and I couldn't have picked someone better for zone leader.  His story is amazing and he is so spiritual and always has a smile on his face even when we are getting chastised in Spanish.  
Tortillas de maiz blanco (México) 01.jpg
By ProtoplasmaKid - Own work
Our group probably tripled the size of the MTC and we are the biggest group of gringos they have ever had by far.  There are 6 of us that sleep in the same room but it could fit 8. Most rooms are full but ours aren't for some reason.  We have community bathrooms that have filtered water and some shower stalls.  It's actually pretty nice.  We also have a volleyball court, a basketball court and a gym with some bikes and machines and stuff.  Sometimes the MTC is really depressing because the land around us looks so beautiful but we can't go outside much because we pretty much sit in class all day.  They also are very strict here about pretty much anything and everything and it is really testing me to be exactly obedient but I am doing my best to follow that advice.  It actually is beautiful weather wise here but with so many of us the building gets scorching hot.  

On Sunday I gave the sacrament prayer and had to repeat it because it was in Spanish, and that was in front of the President of the MTC. oops.... Sacrament meeting [our main Sunday meeting where the sacrament is administered] was in Spanish but luckily the rest of the day was English.  Sunday was actually a day of rest and I understand that a little more because they aren't just shoving Spanish down our throats all day. 

I love seeing all the letters from people and wish I had more than an hour to write some responses because there is so much to tell and I can't wait to send pictures. Sorry if I can't respond to everyone because I'm not a fast typer but also these computers are ancient and all in Spanish.  I can't wait to be in the field and my testimony has probably tripled in size since I got here.  I love what I am doing and I am so happy to be here.  It's where I am supposed to be.  I love you all and will respond when I can.

FYI Pday for me is Tuesday.

con amor,
Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment